Eliminates Paying the Discount Rate for approved Businesses!
MasterCard and Visa each have a program that was developed to eliminate some of the processing fees for pre-certified businesses. These businesses range from governments, education entities, and other emerging markets. With MasterCard and Visa’s approval for this program, your business will save a substantial amount of money by eliminating the discount rate your currently, or would have, paid.
To set up with this program, your business must enroll the use of the NPC Secure software program. This Access/Convenience Fee will be charged as a second transaction back to the cardholder to cover interchange, assessments, and any other processing fees. Your business will not pay interchange, dues, assessments, or any other fees on that particular transaction.
MasterCard and Visa approve select business types with the ability to use the Access/Convenience Fee based on their SIC code and products or services for sale. If you would like to begin using this program, NPC will correspond directly with MasterCard and Visa on your behalf.
This program cannot be confused with a surcharge. A surcharge is any fee charged in connection with a credit card transaction that is not charged if another payment method is used. The Access/ Convenience Fee is a fee charged to justify particular business cases that provide ease and expediency of payment. Your business should have the ability to participate in the program and be permitted to assess a convenience fee provided that the conditions set out below are satisfied.
Visa’s guidelines state:
- The Fee is being charged for bona fide convenience of using an alternate payment channel outside of the Merchant’s normal business practice
- THE FEE:
- Must be disclosed to customers as a charge for alternate payment channel convenience
- Is applied only to face-to-face transactions
- Must be a flat or fixed amount regardless of the amount of payment due
- Is included as part of the total transaction
- Cannot be added to recurring transactions
- Is assessed by the merchant that provides goods and services to the cardholder and not by a third party
- The customer must be given the opportunity to cancel prior to the completion of the transaction.
MasterCard’s guidelines state:
A Merchant must not directly or indirectly require any Cardholder to pay a surcharge or any part of any merchant discount or any contemporaneous finance charge in connection with a transaction. A Merchant may provide a discount to its customers for cash payments. A Merchant is permitted to charge a fee (such as a bona fide commission, postage, expedited service or convenience fees, and the like) if the fee is imposed on all like transactions regardless of the form of payment used, or as the Corporation has expressly permitted in writing. For purposed of this Rule:
- A surcharge is any fee charged in connection with a transaction that is not charged if another payment method is used.
- The merchant discount fee is any fee a Merchant pays to an Acquirer so that the Acquirer will acquire the transactions of the Merchant.
Give a NPC Representative a call to discuss the program in greater detail and take next steps in setting up!
Other Emerging Markets